Car hire are an option the more and more used by travellers especially in the XXI century. Low cost airlines allow us to travel to any city of the world for very little money. Now you can move from one location to another and discover many places for very little money.
But if you haven't rented a car yet, here you have some advantages of renting a car.
Car rental advantages
Freedom of movement
While enjoying your holidays, you don't want to worry about taxi prices, schedules or bus stops. You just want to explore, improvise and enjoy your time.
You can save money by making your reservation on a hotel located a little bit further from the city center and rent a car. The money you save would compensate the car rental price, besides you will enjoy the freedom of movement.
Quality of life
When you arrive at the airport, it's very easy to find the car rental offices at the terminal. Besides, there are some low cost companies located outside the airport which usually offer a free shuttle to connect their offices to the airport. You can save money on taxis (which are expensive) and buses; Buses are very cheap, but it may be a pretty uncomfortable option especially if the bus stop is far from your hotel.
A car rental allows visiting remote places, hidden trails or restaurants with a view, impossible to get to by taking a taxi or a bus. These special places are usually inaccessible by bus. Also, there is nothing better than a car waiting for you at the railway station or airport. Nothing more comfortable than not having to carry your luggage to the bus, tram or underground, or paying taxi airport additional charges for it. Say yes to the comfort.
Due to the competition among offices and car rental companies, they usually offer really good deals and a wide range of cars.
If you live in a big city and you don't need a car every day, it won't be worth for you to have to pay for insurance, parking, mechanical check-ups, tyres... if you only use the car to go to IKEA or on a romantic trip. Rent a car on those specific occasions and you will pay less than owning a car. Even if it seems expensive (up to €200 for four days) it's much cheaper than owning car.
Low cost travelling
It isn't worth driving your own car if you are planning to drive more than four hours to get to your destination, especially if you are travelling with children; it will be more convenient for you to combine low cost flights and to rent a car at the airport. Besides, the trip is shorter. Long driving hours increase the risk of having an accident and you will get to your destination tired and hungry. You have to consider the luggage weight, stops, fuel and even a hotel room expenses.
Great ideas why you should rent a car
Rent an automatic car and discover driving
Do you like automatic cars but you don't dare to buy one? Make the most of renting an automatic car to see if you really like it or if you still prefer the manual one.
Rent a hybrid car and save on parking
Do you love electric or hybrid cars? Rent a car and save money on parking, blue zones... Most cities offer free parking to hybrid and electric cars.
Rent a car for each situation
You can choose among crossovers, 4x4, minis, family vans, convertibles... depending on your trip needs; it's not the same a business trip than a romantic weekend in the Pyrenees.
- Business meeting? You can give an excellent impression if you rent a car. It will be clean, shiny, and if you want, a superior category car. Besides, some of the Premium companies offer superior car categories.
- Travelling with friends? renting a car with more than 7 seats it's your answer. You will save on fuel and logistics if you rent one car instead of driving two or three. And you will have the chance of joking and laughing all together while you are travelling.
- Travelling with children? Most of the car rental companies allow renting up to 3 child car seats. If you don't want to suffer a very long road trip and you prefer to take an aeroplane or train; forget the child seats, it's much easier to rent them with the car.
Rent a car, and don't look like a tourist
- I don't want to pay for Sat-Nav roaming. If you travel abroad, having a Sat-Nav will be incredibly useful. renting a Sat-Nav, you will have all updated maps and you won't have to pay for roaming.
- I have to go from one city to another and I don't know how to do it. Most of the car rental companies offer the "One Way" service, which means that you can rent a car in an office, and drop it off in another; even it's in other city. There's an extra charge for this service.
- I don't like people know I'm a tourist. It would be safer for you not to have a foreign number plate; they usually have more risk of theft.
- It's very easy to find a car rental office. There are the more and more car rental offices located in airports, railway stations, business centers and city centers.
Car rental alternatives
Companies such as Blablacar or Amovens allow travelling from city to city for very little money. But the logistics for round trips to visit the surrounding areas of a city is very complicated. Besides:
- You don't really know the real car condition, even though you aren't going to suffer a hard shift, you can suffer an unpleasant experience if the tyres aren't in good condition.
- The rating system of Blablacar is pretty clear, but you don't know if he/she drives well or not, or if he/she likes to speed. If you usually get car sick, it may not be your best option.
- Do you visit the ladies' room very often? Maybe it's a problem to stop every time you need it, or maybe not, you never know.
- The opinions and ratings about the driver are very easy to falsify with some friends and enough time.
- Even if you can choose your car companions, you don't really know them until you get into the car and start to drive. It's a very good chance to make some new friends, but you never know.
Peer to peer car rental
- It's an expensive option, more expensive than a car rental. Because Spain is the most competitive country in the world to rent a car. It is a very tourist country with many low cost car rental companies. You won't find a peer to peer car rental for less than €15 a day, but Avis or Hertz usually offer that price for the same car.
- It's not as safe. Why? Because you don't know the car condition. They are usually very old cars. If something is damaged, who is going to pay the repair? You are.
- They cannot offer pick up/drop off service in the airport.
- Insurance coverage conditions are not very clear and they don't actually specify what is covered and what is not.
- You can rent a car by the hour.
- It's not an option for travellers. However, it's an option to rent car as a replacement car.
- Taxi prices aren't suitable for all budgets Three or four trips a day will cost anything from €50. Remember that if the taxi driver notice you are a tourist, it's highly likely he/she will charge you more just by taking the longest way.
- Have you ever phoned a taxi company? They don't usually speak English, the phone number isn't easy to find, there are several taxi companies in the same town... it isn't practical.
- The good thing about it is that you don't have to park the car.
Long distance buses
- Even though there's very good public transport in Spain, some parts of the city aren't well connected or even inaccessible, especially the suburbs, districts, castles. And it's almost impossible to get there by bus or any other transport.
- Trips to other towns or cities take longer by bus than by car due to the speed limit the bus have to respect in Spain, so you have the feeling it takes longer than it should. If you are in a rush, rent a car.
- They are quite uncomfortable. In general, seats are not only tight and you have to bend your knees in an impossible angle, but also the stops are very inconvenient. Although most of the buses have its own "toilet", it's pretty uncomfortable.
- Besides you never know who is going to travel with you. If you don't like to talk while travelling, maybe this is not your transport.
- It is not a very useful option if you travel with children: they usually get car sick, the get bored, there's no way to stop.
- Some parts of the city aren't very well connected, especially the suburbs, districts, castles... and it might take a long time to get from one place to another even if they are relatively close, or only a few minutes car distance.
- You depend on the traffic and the weather. Be patient or rent a car!
- You have to adapt to their schedule, and remember that there are not many night bus services.